Called to Serve One Another
Saturday, April 29, 2017
Deadline: Wednesday, April 12
Schedule for Service Day 4/29
- 10:30am: Team Captain Check-in on Church Plaza
- 11:00am: Volunteer Check-in on Church Plaza
Children Check-in at the School (Cafeteria)
- 11:30am: Prayer Service
- 11:45am: Teams Depart for Sites
- 12:30pm: Teams Complete Projects at Sites
- 4:00pm: Team Reflection
- 4:30pm: Teams Return to Saint Clement
Children Picked-up from the School
- 5:00pm: Mass at Saint Clement
- 6:00pm: Celebration Dinner in Fireside Hall
The schedule reveals some important elements of Clement Service Day, namely, the breaks for spiritual reflection and collective prayer in the beginning, middle and end of the day, which emphasize the importance of making service to others a regular habit for parishioners.
We encourage families to participate in this program. The day’s structure makes service accessible to children – for example, cheering up a lonely person or putting together a care package for a guest at a homeless shelter. Parents serve off-site while children in grades K-5 complete supervised, age-appropriate service projects with their peers at the School. 6th graders through high school serve off-site alongside their parent(s). Encourage your friends and your children's friends to take part, and the impact will be even greater.
Your child must be dropped off no later than 11:00am at the School and picked up between 4:30-4:45pm. Children must be of Kindergarten age or older to participate, and any child who participates must also have a parent participating in Clement Service Day. We regret that we do not have suitable activities to accommodate children younger than Kindergarten age.
Please note that there are a few other forms to complete that ensure the safety of your child in the event of an injury, and that no child will be released without a signed dismissal form at the end of Clement Service Day. You must fill out the emergency authorization form ahead of time or you will not be allowed to participate on Service Day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit here for a list of FAQs.
Team captains will have their list of members the week before Service Day. Your team captain will contact you to let you know where you're assigned and give you all pertinent information. If you haven't been contacted by a team captain by April 27, email Maggie.
Parking on Service Day
There is one wedding scheduled for 3:00pm on April 29. We are asking that all Clement Service Day participants be considerate of the wedding guests and not park in the Saint Clement lot. We encourage you to carpool, walk or take public transportation.
Please consider donating the following items for this year's Service Day. A team of parishioners will sort clothing in the chapel, and children at the school will be putting together hygiene kits for the homeless.
- Clothing Drive: As part of this year's Service Day, we are collecting clothing through Friday, April 28. Needed items include clothing for men, women (regular and maternity), and children/newborns in good condition. If possible, please bag them according to type of receiver. Donations will benefit 6 different social service agencies throughout the city.
- Hygiene Products: Needed items include unused travel or sample-sized hygiene products such as shampoo, conditioner, comb/small brush, hand lotion, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, small bar of soap, disposable razor & shave cream, washcloth, and pre-moistened towelettes. Hygiene kits for the homeless will benefit the Night Ministry. The Night Ministry provides basic and self-care supplies, free healthcare, housing and supportive services, referrals and more to Chicago's vulnerable youth and adults. Kits are distributed from the Health Outreach Bus, on the street by the Youth Outreach Team, and from their Open Door Youth Shelters.
Please drop-off donations at Mass and during parish office hours, in the boxes in the vestibule of the church.
If you have any questions or would like more information, email Maggie Hanley.