The bells were originally designed in 1938 to swing back and forth or they could be struck with hammers, depending on the purpose of the ringing. The original ringing equipment was updated in 1984. Unfortunately, the bells no longer swing due to the age of the yokes that support the bells. They are currently secured in place and metal hammers are mounted at the base of each bell to strke it. The rigning equipment is computerized for automatic ringing or they can be manually rung from a control panel in the sacristy or by a wireless remote control.
The bells ring everyday for the Angelus at 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. The largest bell is struck three times followed by a peal of three of the four bells. The bells also call us to worship. A single bell tolls for 9:00 a.m. daily Mass and all four bells peal prior to Saturday evening and Sunday Masses except at 8:00 a.m. The bells also mark the hour from mid-morning through the evening.
In church tradition the bells were given names. These names are found on the side of the bells, molded in the metal along with the name of the church:
Saint Michael • 60" 3,800 pounds
Saint Gabriel • 50" 2,300 pounds
Saint Raphael • 37" 1,000 pounds
Guardian Angel • 27" 460 pounds